Saturday 19 April 2014

Observations during eye surgery

Eye surgery went well on Thursday. Some observations:

1. All the nurses were fat. There were about 7 or 8 of them, some of them male.
2. The diabetics went into surgery first as they were fasting for a while. Upon their return, they were given fruit juice and cookies to break their fast.
3. Once my surgery was done, they were giving me the same snack. I asked for water instead. Nurse asks, "Are you diabetic?" I say "no, but I don't want to be."

That was it. No pain or complications here. Eye needs to stabilize and both eyes are not working together. Left eye to be done on May 1st. Maybe then they will be coordinated.

Off topic, did our primitive ancestors have access to and seek out resistant starch? Is resistant starch tasty? Besides helping the gut supposedly, what other benefits does it have if you are eating a low-carb, ketogenic type diet? What if your gut is already really healthy?

11 comments:

  1. congratulations on a good outcome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad the half of the whole ordeal is behind you. Get well soon, but not in a hurry!

    I had my share of observations when my mom had a hysterectomy in summer in Russia. There were two kinds of patients there, who , unlike my mother, had the surgery due to a cancer, - either fat diabetics or very thin , weak and pale kind. Every patient, diabetic or not, was on a IV glucose+insulin drip post-op. They were fed broth and liquid cream of wheat and boiled fish and mushed potatoes starting 24 hours after the surgery. I supplied my mom with most of her food. Very thin pale patients had the longest time to recover. Medical personal people were mostly in a normal weight category. According of what I have seen by now, somehow the obesity epidemic is the most rampant in US and Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Galina! My cousin worked in a mental hospital during soviet days and was surprised the patients didn't starve to death with most of the staff taking the patient's food home to their own families. Great stories there.

      Delete
    2. It is normal for relatives of patients in Russia to supply most of their food since Soviet times , a refrigerator in every ward is the standard feature now, as I noticed, and people in hospitals share a lot. Nowadays they even have a microwave on a floor. I don't know how much is got stolen now, but food is not sufficient and doesn't taste good.

      Delete
  3. Hi Horf

    Glad things are going well for you, but please no more talk of resistant starch. I can't go anywhere these days without hearing about the damn stuff, every blogger is talking about it.

    Kind regards Eddie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, i'm mum on rs as I know very little about it. Thanks Eddie!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear everything went so smoothly!

    Some of the commentors on the Fathead blog say is lowers their blood sugar. I got a box for my mother and told her to take one tablespoon mixed with warm water (not hot). I'm sure it would taste like glue. Anyone who's all excited about eating potato salad can calm down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an excuse to eat carbs. At the moment, it doesn't sound too appealing to me and I don't have a problem with high blood sugars if I don't eat carbs.

      Delete
  5. Hi Horf

    I know Eddie has already commented but I wanted to as well.

    Having had a few days off sorting out some family health issues....... I'm glad to say all is going well now.

    Just want to say glad the first half of your 'op' went well and wish you well for the other eye.

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete