Sunday 1 February 2015

Is there such a thing as a normal craving?

January was a month for weird and unusual cravings. There were none of the usual cravings such as ice cream, donuts, cakes, pizza, cheesecake or any other high-sugar sweets.

What I was hankering for was buttermilk. For two weeks I'd go to the supermarket and look at the carb-count on a cup of buttermilk and it was 13 grams which resulted in the carton going back on the shelf. Noticing that the buttermilk was only available in the 1% fat version also made me frown.

Finally I gave in and bought a liter. I decided to measure out a 1/2 cup buttermilk to 1/2 cup coffee cream and I've been drinking it for 3 days now and the weight is falling off me. Well maybe not falling off but going down.  Don't know if it's the buttermilk or maybe something in it that my body needed.

Could have been worse I suppose.

9 comments:

  1. YEA! Great thought! ... I occasionally crave rare steaks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tess, was it you who asked me why I couldn't take coconut oil very well? Just found out it is very high in salicylates. I'm investigating further into maybe, besides fructose, I may be sensitive to salicylates as well. Lots of experimenting to do and it's all very fascinating. All leading me down the path to an almost zero carb (all meat and eggs with some dairy) diet with maybe celery occasionally.

      Delete
    2. that's interesting! ...yes, histamine/tyramine/salicylate intolerances, like FODMAPs, must keep a lot of people from benefiting from "real food"! we all seem to have to tailor our intake very carefully, to get what we need and avoid what causes trouble!

      Delete
    3. yep, using my feet as a barometer (very handy) I'm going to start culling what I eat.

      Delete
  2. "Is there such a thing as normal craving?"

    Is there such a thing as normal?
    Is anything what it seems?

    Our bodies just sometimes have a knack of telling us something. This is not infallable but does work sometimes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Jan. If you don't have a dairy allergy, buttermilk is good for the gut. I'm now finding I don't crave it as much so maybe whatever use it had is done for.

      Delete
  3. I recently crave a see weed salad, may be I am lacking iodine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Galina, you would definitely need to be lacking something if you craved a seaweed salad, lol.

      Delete
    2. I bought it several times, and it never made a way home. My salt is iodized, but I can't eat a seafood.

      Delete