Wednesday 24 April 2013

Fat Head and Primal Body Primal Mind

Yesterday I joined netflix to watch Fat Head. Of course, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie because I have a really weird sense of humour and Tom's right up my alley. Then I started going through Tom's blog from the beginning and up to May of 2009. These I am also enjoying immensely.

Tom wrote a short article about Nora T. Gedgaudas' book Primal Body, Primal Mind in which one of his aha moments lead to thoughts about alcoholic addiction and why in his old vegetarian carb loading days he thought he had become an alcoholic due to his desire to consume alcohol in great quantities and reluctantly started going to AA meetings. Once he converted to the true Low Carbish Faith, he found that the appeal of alcohol went away and he can now drink in moderation. He attributed his addiction to alcohol as his body's response to seeking energy like someone who is experiencing a sugar crash and needs a glucose fix right away.

Now Nora's alcoholic message flew past me because I've never liked alcohol and just skimmed through that part probably and thought nothing more about it. However, once I really started thinking about addiction, I realized that shortly after reading Protein Power, seeing the light and embarking on my own journey, within about 1 year I gave up a 35 year, pack and 1/2 per day smoking habit almost effortlessly (well not completely effortlessly). Why I didn't tie in low carbing to the ease of quitting smoking, which I had been trying to do for almost 20 years, I don't know. This is my aha moment. I don't think it's ever easy to quit smoking but I'm sure it was a lot easier once I really got into low-carbing. Don't ask me how this relates to alcohol, fuel and low blood sugar, but I also felt no desire to continue with a low level bingo (gambling) habit. I couldn't miss a night of bingo and the rush that came with winning. Now, I'm thinking, "What was I thinking and why was I doing this?" I have no desire to gamble in any way shape or form anymore. I even forget to buy lotto tickets. Or an alternative theory might be that once I quit smoking there was no reason to go to bingo. Don't know.

With that in mind, I'm going to re-read Nora's book again and more thoroughly this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment