Wednesday 25 June 2014

When I was young...

When I was young I seemed to thrive on new and exciting things. There was constantly something happening in my life that caused happiness or sorrow. There was never a dull moment.

Now that I'm much, much, older I am blessed with very little drama in my life now that I don't have to worry about my parents. Little things such as filling my planters with pansies in the spring makes me happy. Deciding when I'll make an appointment to get my teeth cleaned, when I'm going to do the laundry, what book I'm going to read next, when to go shopping or when to take my car out for a spin on the highway to get it de-carboned, is about as exciting as it gets. Yet I love the sheer lack of drama and stress in my old age very much.

Some of it is due to lack of relatives and living alone. Sure, I meet my sister and/or friends once a month for dinner, talk on the phone to another friend who lives in the next province once a month, keep tabs on my relatives in Ukraine via Facebook, but other than that, I'm all alone and loving it.

Since my eye surgery I've had my nose in several books non-stop. An amazing author I've recently discovered and who is brilliant is Alan Bradley. First novel The Sweetness at the bottom of the pie won several awards and the heroine (Flavia de Luce) now has a fan club world wide. Check it out, I promise you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I think I know what you mean! :-) it's easier to live in and enjoy the PRESENT, when all the outside distractions are minimized, as is the drama, as you write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just so enjoy the quieter way of life. Enjoy the present .... look back at the past with it's good, bad and in-between ...that is life. I am at a wonderful age / stage and feel content, that is worth at thousand words and many pounds or dollars.

    Peace, tranquillity and enjoyment ..take it and grasp life in both hands.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete